Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Lady's Chicken Noodle Soup

Well the verdict is in and it was a success. So much of a success that there were no leftovers. Here is the recipe:
The Lady’s Chicken Noodle Soup
From Paula's Home Cooking
Servings: 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
Difficulty: Moderate

Ingredients
4 bay leaves
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon Paula Deen Lemon Pepper Seasoning
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 2 1/2 to 3-pound fryer (chicken), cut up
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3 1/2 quart water kosher salt and pepper to taste

For Step 2:
2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced celery, with leafy green tops
2 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
3/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
1/3 cup cooking sherry
1 cup sliced mushrooms Fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
Paula Deen Seasoned Salt to taste 
freshly ground black pepper to taste
crusty french bread, for serving

 Directions For the stock:
add all ingredients to a soup pot. Cook until chicken is tender, about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Remove and discard bay leaves and onion. You should have approximately 3 quarts of stock. When chicken is cool enough to touch, pick bones clean, discarding bones, skin, and cartilage. Set chicken aside.

For the soup:
bring stock back to a boil, add carrots, and cook for 3 minutes. Add celery and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Add egg noodles and cook according to directions on package. When noodles are done, add chicken, mushrooms, parsley, sherry and rosemary. Add Parmesan and cream, if using. Cook for another 2 minutes. Adjust seasoning, if needed, by adding seasoning salt and pepper. Enjoy along with a nice hot crusty loaf of French bread.
Recipe Courtesy of Paula Deen

 I didn't go things quite the way she suggested.
Firstly I started with 3 cans of broth and 3 cans of water.
I used onion flakes instead of chopping up an onion.
I used frozen pre cooked diced Chicken.
I didn't have Lemon Pepper like I thought, but I did have Lime Pepper.
Because I added 3 cans of water I didn't add the 3 1/2 qt. water.
Because I was trying to cater to my kids I didn't use carrots or celery. They wouldn't eat it anyways so next time I will add it in.
I didn't have any fresh Parsley.
I did use the Parmesan and Heavy cream.
I didn't add mushrooms because Eli doesn't like them.

This is going to become a Ruggles family repeat. It would even be great for company coming over and it was so easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment