Monday, February 13, 2012

No Ranch seasoning packet in the house, no fear

So I was making crack potatoes when I realized I didn't have any ranch mix. No fear, Eli to the rescue with his mad googling skills. Here's what he found:

Simple Ranch Dressing Mix

Ingredients:

17 Saltines, finely crushed
2 cups (470 ml) parsley flakes
1/2 cup (120 ml) Onion Flakes
2 Tbs (30 ml) Dried Basil
6 Tbs (3/8 cup)(90 ml) Kosher or sea salt
5 Tbs (75 ml) Garlic Powder
5 Tbs (75 ml) Onion Powder
See the ingredients above? Mix and store in an air tight container. A 1 quart canning jar is perfect.

1 Tablespoon Ranch Dressing Mix
1 cup mayonnaise (Preferably Dukes or Hellman’s if you’re a West Coaster it’s Best Foods, and yes, I just got brand snobby)
1 cup buttermilk (If at all possible, full fat)

At least one hour before serving, mix the three ingredients. Cover and refrigerate. The flavors must mingle. If you taste the dressing before it has had time to chill, it’s going to taste like mayonnaisey, tangy, spices and I hate mayonnaise. Be patient. Once in a while the magic ingredient is time. So chill out and make your salad.


I'll update once I've tried it and let you know how it turns out.

UPDATE: This was pretty good. The garlic was a bit overpowering but I didn't have any parsley. The parsley may have made the difference. I think I will buy some parsley to add to what I have left and then try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment