Friday, January 8, 2010

Chicken and Noodles

So not only to try to save a little money but also because I wanted to I made Chicken and Noodles from Scratch. The noodles were so easy to make. It took me less than an hour to make them, that includes the 20 minute resting period before I rolled it out. I baked some chicken and then shredded it. So when it came time to make dinner I just had to dump it all in the pot. And I made enough for 2 batches. My down fall for saving money came when I had to run to Dollar General and get broth. I had heard that Wal-Mart was crazy due to the mention of snow. I didn't even want to deal with that mess. Now I wish I would have.

Anyways, I used 5 cans of Chicken Broth which = $5. Way to much for broth! I think I can get enough broth at Wal-Mart for $3. We prefer the boxed broth to the liquid from the chicken. Because I baked it there wasn't much liquid from it anyways.

The noodles were probably about $1 to make 2 batches. When I buy them they are $4 a bag so that saved $7, great!

The chicken was frozen Chicken Breasts. There are 8 in the bag for about $7. I cooked 3 Chicken breasts so about $2.60 for the chicken.

Remember this was two batches of noodles, excluding the broth. So per one batch of Chicken Noodles it would cost $4.80 to make it from scratch. To just buy all ingredients it would cost $10. That's a savings of $5.20 per batch. Not to bad and it was so easy to do.

The noodles could have been rolled out thinner. This is something that I am not good at. The reason I cannot make cut out sugar cookies. Which is another goal for 2010. I think that I would like to get the Kitchen Aid mixer pasta maker attachment. I think that with this I could get them rolled out correctly.
The Pasta Attachment is $120 on Amazon. So it'll be a while before I get one. If anyone has one laying around that they would like to sell or let me borrow. I am not above borrowing or buying one used.

I will try this again.

When searching for the Pasta Attachment on Amazon I saw a Ravioli press, hmmmm. Maybe some adventures into pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment